Thursday, March 01, 2007

Food of the Gods

I’ve settled into the suburban stereotype and am looking forward to the day I can put a soccer ball sticker on the back of my gas guzzling Lexus SUV. And become a room mother (do they still do that?), join the PTA, and play tennis. Though my tennis game is greatly lacking, our neighborhood is a big ALTA neighborhood and I’m starting to feel left out. More on that later.

Mapgeek and I used to cook these elaborate meals from awesome looking recipes we’d see on Food Network, or out of our Spanish cookbooks, or out of Bon Appetit or Southern Living magazines (yummy!). I usually plan our menu for the week and do all the grocery shopping on Sundays. This week I found a couple fabulous recipes online. In the interest of trying to get back to a post-pregnancy, healthy diet (though I haven’t given up my Doritos or Kisses yet), I planned a mostly healthy meal from a couple recipes I saw on Food Network. Long story short…that dang meal took over an hour to make! In the midst of a cranky toddler and whining, hungry infant. And all this happening as soon as Mapgeek gets home, which he loves. Which leads me to The Food of the Gods

Casseroles! We have a collection of frozen meals from our wonderful, fabulous, amazing, family and friends. And believe it or not, only one lasagna! I put one of our frozen delicacies in the fridge the night before to thaw, which it never completely does, but who cares! Then around 4:30, I pop that scrumptious pan of goodness in the oven and let it go. No muss, no fuss. When Mapgeek gets home (5:30-6:00), I break out one of those convenient, yet healthy Salads in a Bag, or steam some frozen, pre-cut veggies. And shazaam! All done ‘cept for tossing the disposable casserole pan (yay Gladware!), and washing 2 dishes and 1 pot.

So, I’m now on the hunt for new casserole recipes. Put a little work ahead of time (like on the weekend, when I actually have some time), buy some disposable pans (yay! No dishes!), and whip up a couple of half batches (to limit leftovers – who wants to eat the same casserole for 3 days), and freeze the suckers.

So, so suburban…anyone want to swap recipes? :)

No comments: