Thursday, August 11, 2005

How to exercise with a baby

This morning, my neighbor, Mega-mom, and I went to exercise. Before I tell you about this awesome class that we went to, let me first tell you about Mega-mom. She's got FOUR boys that are 4 and under. The twins are 4, the middle one is almost 2, and the youngest turns 1 in October. Hence, the Mega-mom dub. I don't know how she does it. But anyways...

Roswell Parks and Rec has community classes for all sorts of stuff. Art classes (painting, pottery, sculpting, mosaics, etc), all kinds of sports groups (tennis, soccer, baseball), education classes (languages, computers), and exercise classes. I was looking for something to do this fall to try to get the flab back in its proper place and came up on this class called Stroller Striders. I seemed to recall Mega-mom telling me about it so I gave her a call to get the scoop. Lo and behold, she is currently in that class and is also signed up this fall. So, she invited me along for today's morning class.

I followed Mega-mom and the troops over to the East Roswell Park at 9:15. The Roswell City parks are super nice. They have community centers, tennis courts, softball fields, soccer fields, and paved trails running throughout. Our old house was adjacent to the main park in west Roswell, which had a pool too. Sure miss being able to walk out the door and across the creek into the park. Anyhow, I digress.

There were 7 moms in the class. Mega-mom dropped off the twins at the playground with a sitter and our classmates older kids. We met at a trail head, parked the strollers, and warmed up with stretches. Then we all unlocked the strollers and walked FAST along the paved trail to another little area and parked. We then proceeded to do jumping jacks in front of our strollers. Most likely for the kids' entertainment. Then we booked it on over to the next area, where we did a lot of squats while singing "Row, row, row your boat". We continued on throughout the park, stopping periodically for more torture and singing, for an hour. The hardest part was trying to do steps on a 2-foot high planted area while singing "You are my sunshine". Whew, I'm out of shape!

Needless to say, I'm signed up with Mega-mom for class twice a week this fall. I'm sure it will be great once fall gets here, with the cooler fall mornings. That always inspires me!

I wonder what the buff guys running through the park think of a bunch of moms pushing strollers, singing "This old man. He played one. He played knick knack on my thumb....."?

No comments: