Monday, August 15, 2005

Take your best shot

I officially do not like booster shots. Especially when they aren't mine. Babygirl got her 2 month shots today. Her first round, at one month, upset the poo out of me. She screamed bloody murder. I think I thought it was going to be more like the dog's shots. In and out before the dog can react. Not so.

In anticipation for her FOUR separate shots that she was going to get today, Mommy got teary. I held poor Babygirl's hands while the mean old nurse did a BAM BAM in one leg, and then a BAM BAM in the other leg. Babygirl immediately started crying, though it didn't seem as loud as it did at one month. When it was all over, I picked her up, did the "poor baby" thing, and cooed at her for a minute. I laid her back down to dress her, so I could coo at her poor pouty face some more. Babygirl started laughing instead. So much for baby pity. I guess she's not old enough to realize that at times like these, it would be in her best interest to work it a little.

On the other hand, the checkup went great! She's up to 10 1/2 pounds and 22 inches. Smack in the middle of the percentile pack. The doc said her head has a "beautiful shape" and did we "rotate her"? I also got the lecture about having nothing in the crib besides the baby and the mattress. I didn't have the heart to tell the doc that there are 5 stuffed animals, a pillowy thing, 4 blankets, and an aquarium. So far, Babygirl has avoided choking on the aquarium so we haven't been too worried about it. We've also given up swaddling her. She never liked it much to begin with and now she screams at night if she can't stick her fingers in her mouth. She'll hardly take the pacifier anymore either, having discovered the joys of fists.

Now that we are "free", Babygirl and I made our first official outing to...where else...the grocery store! Needed more diapers and Mommy needed lunch. Tomorrow, we're off to our exercise class again. I think we may finally venture down to the office to see Daddy and all our coworkers that have been so sweet asking about Babygirl. Then maybe we'll finally be able to go to the pool!

3 comments:

Sean said...

As an experienced parent (not really) but still - i've heard that you want to try to use the pacifier as much as possible, over the joys of fists. From what i understand, the ability to (gradually) take it away is paramount.

FWIW. - sean

karibud said...

Evan actually loves his fists much more than the pacifier. I really wish he liked the pacifier better. Keeping his hands in his mouth all of the time bothers me!

As for the items in the crib...we have our own thoughts on that too. Evan sleeps on his stomach because he really didn't like sleeping on his back. Big no-no, but we have to do what works! He also has a crib mirror and an animal or two in his crib. He's just fine.

Anonymous said...

Times have really changed. The pediatrician fussed at me for letting Bud have a pacifier. He told me to let him find his thumb.