Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina fallout - thoughts and ideas

Wow, I don’t even know where to begin. Having been a hurricane victim and sometime evacuee, my sympathies to the gulf coast. Actually, I take that back. I’ve never been a victim of anything remotely close to what’s going on down south. I had trees fall down in my yard during several hurricanes and I got stuck at my house without power during an ice storm (ok, so it was only for a few hours). I hope to do more than offer my sympathy. That’s not going help anybody.

No “I told you so’s”, but you got to admit, you knew New Orleans was a total gamble. It was only a matter of time before something devastated the city. Are they going to rebuild the city? How about moving it above sea level?

Those poor people stuck in the Super Dome. I don’t think that I would ever go to a government shelter after seeing that. The water is rising and now they are busing them to Houston to the Astrodome. And then there are looters stealing out of homes and stores. The lowest form of life.

Today, there are huge lines at the gas pumps, rising prices, and most likely panic from the masses. I heard on the news today that the EPA is lowering their refinement standards so that oil can be created more quickly. I think that the one good thing that may come out of this hurricane is the unbelievable, in your face, need for more refineries. Perhaps the in-denial environmentalists will back off. Maybe it would be a good time to just go ahead and take over Iraq…it’s all about the oil ya know.

Where’s our foreign aid from other countries? Is anyone going to send in help? Are we going to get money to help alleviate our suffering? Maybe an oil tanker or two? Maybe they’ll give us cut rates on hybrid cars. Or some coupons for Walmart.

I sure would rather our hard earned, hard paid tax dollars stay at home to deal with our problems. Let the other countries deal with their own. I’m tired of the wonderful people of this country, that care and help the unfortunate others, be repaid by insults, nastiness, and violence. I say let them care for themselves. Let a little Darwinism take place. How’s that for hard line? :) Ok, not really. We'll continue to give and continue to be abused. That's the American way.

OHHHHHHH!!! Bush just gave a press conference. He ended with “God bless you”. I’m offended.

1 comment:

Curleygirl said...

Just to clarify...

I tend to be sarcastic many times when I write. In the case of the President's reference to God, I am poking fun at those people that are "offended" by those that chose to live their life according to Christian principals. As if those principals are so bad. I can think of worse things. Such as killing infidels. So you tell me who should be offended.