Sunday, November 13, 2005

Yip yip yip, all the way home (see y'all!)

My Tigers did it again! I love to beat Georgia! Boy, what an even matchup though. We were looking at the stats on SportsCenter and they were almost dead even in passing, rushing, and points. Auburn is hanging onto hope for getting into the SEC Championship. A pipe dream especially since the Tide couldn’t manage to beat LSU. Figures. Stupid elephant things.

And I can’t BELIEVE that South Carolina beat Florida! Woohoo! How bizarre too that Spurrier beat his beloved Gators. You know Columbia was rocking last night.

I have my list of teams that I love to see get beat. It changes from year to year depending on how much I pity them or whether there’s some tenuous connection, such as someone that went to that school that ticks me off. Florida topped my list for years because of Spurrier. Oh, how the times have changed (did hell freeze over??) now that he’s at Carolina. And I pity Florida now, so they aren’t at the top anymore.

Ok, I know you are all waiting expectantly for my Beat the Crap Outa’em list so here it is:

#1 Georgia – I live in Georgia and I’m tired of hearing “Go Daaaawgs” (appropriate hick accent here). I’m also tired of hearing how great their football team is. Doesn't seem like they've been delivering on this.

#2 Southern Cal – REALLY tired of them. They need to lose. Plus, they get put on top of the pack by the powers that be and screw the rest of the undefeated teams out of the National Champion title (refer to Auburn last year).

#3 Florida State – Primarily because of Bobby Bowden. That's because of his son, Terry that did some damage to the Auburn program in the mid-90’s.

#4 Clemson – Primarily because of Tommy Bowden. That's because of his brother Terry. Anyone else as sick of the Bowden’s as me?? Other reason is our adoption of South Carolina as one of our Teams That Must Be Cheered For.

#5 Florida – It’s hard to let go of bitterness. :)

I know many of you are wondering why Bama didn’t make the list. At the moment, I’m still recovering from the pity years they’ve had recently. I’d say they are in the Top 10. Other honorable mentions that are inching their way close to the top 5 – Michigan (I’ve got a long-standing disdain for Michigan), Miami, UNC, and Nebraska. I’m still thinking about adding Texas to the list.

My list of Teams That Must Be Cheered For is pretty obvious. Though there are only 4 teams that are non-negotiable. Everyone after that is subject to be put on the Beat the Crap Outa’em list.

#1 Auburn
#2 South Carolina
#3 NC State (long family history here)
#4 Indiana (This is actually Mapgeek’s alma mater. Carolina was grad school.)

Honorable mentions here are teams that I’ve always liked for whatever reason. Penn State, Tennessee (they are here mostly for the strong pity factor this year), and Notre Dame (also the pity factor, though if they revive their glory years, they might be switching lists).

No comments: